instead of a cold goodbye


Last night I went in to work at 8pm. It was my first overnight interpreting experience, and it wasn't half bad.
The sun was making its way into the sky, slowly but surely, on my drive home around 7am. It was a brisk 65 degrees out and for the most part traffic wasn't horrible. Driving after just over 24 hours of no sleep is a must in my book, its when I do my best thinking, I discovered this morning.

I find it funny how much and how often people change. Become a hormonal teenager: change. Leave home: change. Start college: change. Start dating: change. Get dumped a few times:change. Get married: change. Move across the country: change?

Really I guess I prefer the word "evolve" because really that's what it is. We shouldn't be expected to always think "like ourselves" because we aren't always the same version of ourselves.
People say to me "you've changed" and to be honest, yes I have. And I am so thrilled about it! Who wants to always think the same, always BE the same person, day after day, year after year? Wheres the fun in that? I change because I realize I was wrong before, not because someone else "changes" me. I'm constantly realizing things I used to think were right, aren't quite. Things that I wasn't sure about a year ago, I'm sure about now.

Watching the DC fall start this morning; leaves painting themselves new colors, fog creeping out of the forest, the sun sleeping in a little bit longer than usual...well, it really got me thinking about change, and thinking about how truly important it is.

The whole point of this life is to learn, to grow...you can't grow and not change. Shoot, you can't LEARN and not change. Its damn near impossible, as it should be!
I love change, I embrace change, and I am so excited that I married someone who is as open to it as I am. Not many people are, I'm afraid.

Here's to fresh starts, and sweet endings...to change :)

4 comments :

  1. Changing is a good thing! I know I have changed over the years. Different experiences teach you and strengthen you, and it causes you to change. If anyone tells you you're wrong to change, it's usually because they need to have one of those changing experiences themselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever read the book Who Moved my Cheese? Perfect example of what you just wrote! I love Change to an extent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't! But I heard its really good! I'm so excited for you and Jess' big change coming up! yay for baby roussels!

      Delete
  3. I think change is a constant thing (kind of an oxymoron in a way). What is most important, though, is how we deal with change, our attitudes and, of course, the direction we are moving as we ourselves are changing or becoming.
    I'm glad you are enjoying your time in the D.C. area. There is so much to see and do and learn in the area. We loved the time we lived there.

    ReplyDelete